We have been fortunate enough to have been the primary installer of awnings to the Nicholson pub brand in London for over 10-yearss and this latest installation at Ye Olde Watling is typical of the very traditional British style of hostelry the Nicholsons brand is renowned for.
Our Deans blind is manufactured in the traditional style which has been associated with Deans for over 120 years. A mix of harvested hardwood timbers, cast iron and mild steel parts combined with the latest anti soil modern fabric provides an attractive yet practical and long lasting shelter as well as a focal point to draw customers in.
Said to be built from old ships’ timbers by Sir Christopher Wren, Ye Olde Watling has a remarkable heritage dating to 1668. It stands on Watling Street, a Roman road leading out of the City via Ludgate. One claim to fame is that their upstairs rooms were used as a drawing office during the building of St Paul’s Cathedral. It is also thought that pub catered for Wren’s workmen after the Great Fire.
Watling Street is the ancient track way in England and Wales that was first used by the Ancient Britons primarily between what is now modern Canterbury and St Albans using a natural ford near Westminster. In Roman times it was partly paved with stone and then connected to the Kentish ports of Dubris (Dover), Rutupiae (Richborough), Lemanis (Lympne), and Regulbium (Reculver) to the new bridge over the Thames at Londinium (London). Watling Street was the site of the British Queen Boudicca’s defeat by the Romans and the south-western border of the Danelaw. In the early 19th century, the course between London and the sea was paved completely and became known as the Great Dover Road.