Traditional shop blinds at the Covent Garden hotel


Traditional shop blinds and awnings have been manufactured by us in London since 1894 and we still make them in same crafted way with just a few exceptions. We no longer use lead based paint, is in line with our environmental policy, and today we use only water based paint. The arms used to be painted, again with lead based paints, but now we use the much more robust and better finished powder coating process; carried out at our very own powder coating plant. In spite of these changes our Deans traditional shop blinds all meet the same historically accurate appearance criteria but with the advantages of modern technology.  The fabric covers may appear to be in traditional canvas but are in fact woven from modern polyester yarns which are both exceptionally durable and also soil and UV resistant

This example of the  Deans traditional shop blind is an installation at is at the Covent Garden Hotel which is situated in the heart of the theatre district and is just a short walk to the Royal Opera House, Soho. Within easy reach of the city’s business centre it is surrounded by some of London’s best restaurants and bars, vibrant cafes and exciting theatre, nightlife and shopping.

The market hall was built in 1830 to provide a permanent trading centre. In 1913, Herbrand Russell, 11th Duke of Bedford, agreed to sell the Covent Garden Estate for £2 million to the MP and land speculator Harry Mallaby-Deeley, who sold his option in 1918 to the Beecham family for £250,000; what it would be worth today is almost beyond comprehension. Street entertainment at Covent Garden was first noted in Samuel Pepys’s diary in May 1662, when he recorded the first mention of a Punch and Judy show in Britain. Today there are street performances at Covent Garden Market every day of the year, except Christmas Day. Shows run throughout the day and are about 30 minutes in length.

Make an enquiry