The Marlesbury Awning, as installed here at ESCADA in Sloane Square, London, is a modern commercial awning design based on a traditional edict. The Marlesbury awning has an elegant, yet simple, aspect incorporating smart metalwork profiles which accentuate the fine lines of the design. The Marlesbury awning in this version is surface mounted with the rollers and brackets exposed to give a stark, more artistically, brutal look . The Marlesbury awning is remarkably robust as is demonstrated by the fact that these awnings installed on ESCADA are installed at high level and are finished in a calm cream colour with the graphic text sharply picked out in black.
In 1978, Margaretha and Wolfgang Ley presented their first collection under the name “ESCADA & Sporty Elegance“. This event laid the foundation for a new business idea that was as simple as it was successful. Today the store has interpreted its brand values in a new, updated way: cool glamour, sensual femininity and modern elegance are the hallmarks of the ESCADA brand line. The brand offers a lifestyle concept filled with everything from must-have everyday items for business and leisure to red carpet occasions.
Sloane Square is a small hard-landscaped square on the boundaries of the central London districts of Knightsbridge, Belgravia and Chelsea, located 2.1 miles southwest of Charing Cross, in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. The area forms a boundary between the two largest aristocratic estates in London, the Grosvenor Estate and the Cadogan. The square was formerly known as ‘Hans Town’, laid out in 1771 to a plan of by Henry Holland Snr. and Henry Holland Jnr. Both the square and Hans Town were named after Sir Hans Sloane (1660–1753), whose estates owned the land at the time. In the square, positioned slightly off-centre, is a stone cross that is known as Chelsea War Memorial. Made of Portland stone, and designed by an unknown architect, the cross has a capped head on a tapered shaft above a moulded three stage octagonal base. A large bronze sword is affixed to its west face.