The Haymarket Hotel is situated on the corner of Haymarket and Suffolk Place in the heart of London’s theatre district. It is next door to the famous Haymarket Theatre Royal and is surrounded by some of London’s best restaurants and bars.
Recently we refurbished the traditional Deans exterior blinds on the listed facia of the building additionally installing one new blind to complete the facade. These period style awnings perfectly fit in with the historic Regency style of this listed building in the heart of London.
Deans are renowned, as London’s oldest blind maker for the traditional craftsmanship which goes into these awnings which have been installed all over London and the rest of the UK since 1894.
The Haymarket hotel is ideally located for Mayfair, Regent Street and Jermyn Street shopping. Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery are just around the corner and St. James’s Park is a short walk while the city’s financial centre is a short tube or taxi journey.
Haymarket is a broad street which connects Pall Mall with Piccadilly and was recorded in the Elizabethan era and, as the name suggests, was originally used as a street market for the sale of fodder and other farm produce. During this period, it was a rural spot, with the village of Charing (Charing Cross), the nearest settlement. The practice continued up to the reign of William III, by now , carts carrying hay and straw were permitted in the street to trade, toll free. In 1692, after which the street was paved, a special tax was levied on the loads. By 1830 the market was moved to Cumberland Market near Regent’s Park.
Today’s Theatre Royal at another site in the Haymarket is a building originally by John Nash (1820), replacing a previous theatre of the 1720s.